Dandruff is a harmless disease of the skin/scalp, wherein thin mica like scaling, which aggravates on scratching, occurs along with acute burning and itching sensation. Papules are rough and itching having no discharge.
Dandruff is of two types:
- Waxy dandruff – it occurs the epidermis scales which is mixed with the sebum that stick to the scalp in the form of patches.
- Dry dandruff – in this, small white flakes of scalp falls or may get attached to the skin of head.
Causes of Dandruff
According to some doctors it may be result of either too much or too little oil being produced by sebaceous glands in the scalp.
There may be other contributing factors.
· One cause may be the fungal infection of the scalp.
· mal nutrition
- Lack of minerals like zinc and calcium in diet.
- Usage of soaps and shampoos those are alkaline in nature.
- Infection caused by communication with others.
Signs & Symptoms
Dry white scales are shed on the clothes. Occasionally, dandruff can develop into more severe seborrhoeic dermatitis, greasy and very itchy scalp with brownish scales in the hair.
Home remedies for Dandruff
· Clean the hair 2 or 3 times a week with a mildly medicated shampoo.
- Hot stream bath especially on the scalp is highly useful.
- Massage with warm olive or sesame oil and then wrap a warm cloth or a towel on head for few minutes is very helpful in getting rid of dandruff.
- Application of a mixture of neem oil and camphor is also effective, followed by washing the hair.
- Massage the scalp with almond and olive oil for five minutes, leave it for some time and then rinse off to get the dandruff free hairs.
- Mix coconut oil with lemon juice. It is very helpful.
- Cedar vinegar is also very useful. Rinse your hair at last with apple cedar vinegar.
- Soak 2-3 tablespoons of methi seeds in water and keep it overnight. Make a paste of it and apply over the scalp. Let the paste over the scalp dry by keeping it for 30-45 minutes. Wash the hair with plain water or using soap nut.
· A small quantity of curd for fermentation for 2-3 days. Apply this curd to the scalp and hair. Dry it for 1 hour and wash it off.
· .Take half cup of water add thyme leaves to it and boil it. Apply it over the scalp and hair. Wash after some time.
· Mix beetroot juice in vinegar and apply on the scalp.
· Ginger juice and beetroot juice mixed together and applied on the scalp are also beneficial.
- Giving sufficient exposure of sun to the scalp is another important method of getting rid of dandruff
- Beet root crushed in henna paste is good in preventing dandruff and hair fall when applied on head.
- Washing hairs with powder of green gram is also good to prevent dandruff.
- Massaging of pure apple juice and thrice the quantity of warm water is good treatment of fading away dandruff.
Do’s and Don’ts
· Do not wash your hair, too often.
· Make proper hygiene as it necessary to avoid further infection.
View all related images of this topic
View all related videos of this article