Turmeric or 'haldi', is one of the widely used spices in India. It is used as a cosmetic rather than used to add colour and taste to our food. Haldi is also a part of our rituals. One of the most important ceremonies of Indian weddings is the 'haldi' ceremony where a paste made of turmeric is applied to the bride and the groom.s body as part of their marriage preparations. Turmeric has been known to contain numerous antioxidants as well as antibacterial properties. Giving you amazing benefits for your skin, hair and health. Turmeric purifies blood, nourishes the skin and gives it a healthy natural glow. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, anti-aging and anti-bacterial properties that help reduce inflammation of skin, acne, pimples and blemishes.
Turmeric has been used as beauty product over the centuries. Here are some properties of turmeric that you can use to cure various common problems and get a flawless skin.
1) Turmeric is an excellent exfoliating agent and can help you defeat the signs of ageing.
2) Turmeric has been used for generations as an antibacterial agent. Turmeric paste is still used to heal small cuts and burns. Turmeric heals wounds and helps to keep bacterial infections at bay.
3) Turmeric is beneficial for oily skin as it regulates the production of sebum, an oily substance produced by the sebaceous glands.
4) Turmeric in combination with other ingredients is effective in reducing fine lines and wrinkles. You can prepare a face pack by mixing turmeric powder and rice powder with raw milk and tomato juice and apply it on your face and neck for 30 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. This will reduce wrinkles as well as brighten your skin.
5) A mixture of besan (gram flour) and turmeric in yoghurt/raw milk/water can help lighten stretch marks.
6) Apply a mixture of coconut oil/castor oil and turmeric powder on cracked heels preferably 15 minutes before you head to take a bath. It will help heal cracks.
7) To remove skin tanning and pigmentation, apply a mixture of turmeric powder and lemon or cucumber juice on the affected area for 20-30 minutes and wash off with plain water. This should be done regularly for beneficial results.
8) You can make a facial scrub by mixing kasturi turmeric with chickpea (gram flour). Applying this on your face can inhibit facial hair growth. This paste should be applied consistently for about a month to get effective results.
9) Turmeric helps to slow the growth of facial hair which is a problem faced by many women. One needs to apply turmeric daily over a period of time to see the difference.
10) Turmeric helps rejuvenate scalp health and gets rid of itchiness, dandruff as well as hair loss.
11) Turmeric helps to keep the skin looking young and fresh. As it contains many antioxidants, it is great for aging skin. It helps stimulate new cell growth and help keep the skin's elasticity intact.
12) Turmeric is useful in the treatment of skin diseases like ringworm and scabies. In such cases, the juice of raw turmeric is externally applied to the affected parts. Simultaneously, turmeric juice, mixed with honey should be taken orally.
13) You can apply a paste made from turmeric and milk or yoghurt on your face. Leave the mask overnight and rinse it off the next morning using a light cleanser.
14) Being a natural antiseptic, turmeric with milk is effective in treating skin conditions like poison ivy, eczema and psoriasis. Eczema is quite itchy and painful disease characterized by red scaly patches on skin.
15) The yellow hue of turmeric not only makes it usable as a textile dye but also as a natural dye for your hair to brighten your hair colour.
Turmeric has been used as a beauty product for centuries. It is an inexpensive and natural way of treating several skin problems and getting a flawless skin. It comes with a range of benefits for skin.