- Chocolate is made from cocoa beans. It comes from the cocoa tree - Theobroma - which translates to 'Food of the Gods'. Chocolates contain many of the same healthy compounds from plants including minerals (copper, iron, zinc and magnesium) and specifically an anti-oxidant called polyphenols.
- Chocolate is derived from the word, “xocolatl”, which means bitter water.
- Dark chocolate is healthier because it retained the highest percentage of flavanoids. Milk chocolate is more diluted and highly processed. The beneficial flavonoids, which is what makes up the pungent taste, is lost the more the chocolate is processed.
- Solid chocolate was developed by Cadbury of England in the 19th Century while a Swiss duo, Daniel Peters & Henri Nestle refined it in 1875 by adding milk to make the first milk chocolate.
- The evolution of chocolates continues, when another Swiss, Rodolphe Lindt, developed a process called 'conching' or rolling chocolate to make it soft and smooth, in 1879 to make the first really fine chocolate.
- Giving chocolates has royal approval! In 1900s, Queen Victoria sent special tins of chocolates to soldiers in the Boer war to wish them a Happy New Year.
- Chocolate contains high level of phenylethylamine, a naturally occurring chemical in the brain that promotes feelings of rapture, associated with being in love.
- On average, $750 million worth of chocolates are sold in United States on Valentine's Day.
9. Napoleon was said to have carried chocolate with him on all his military campaigns for a quick energy snack.
- “Chocoholism” is a word coined to refer to chocolate craving.
- In Alfred Hitchcock's black and white movie, Psycho (1950), Chocolate syrup was used to represent blood in the famous 45 seconds shower scene, which took 7 days to shoot!
- Approximately 2 ounces of milk chocolate can be poisonous to a 10-pound dog. This is true for cats and even other household pets. This is because they contain theobromine, which affects their heart and nervous system.
13. Cocoa beans were used as currency by the Mayan and Aztec civilizations over 1400 years ago!