Title : Importance of breakfast for children Previous | Next
Breakfast is the most important meal for Kids. Break an overnight fast with a light morning meal referred to literally as "break-fast." Children who eat breakfast are more likely to meet vitamin and mineral requirements than children who skip breakfast. They also tend to consume more vitamin C, calcium, folic acid and fiber. A missed breakfast means missed nutrients. Children who eat breakfast regularly have more energy, exhibit less aggressive behavior and display a better attitude toward school. Breakfast eaters score higher on math tests and other academic areas and have fewer days of absence from school or tardiness, according to Mary Mitchell in "Nutrition Across the Life Span." Regular meals and snacks also help maintain healthy weight and reduce the risk of obesity.
Children who eat breakfast are absent from school fewer days. They also spend less time in the nurse's office complaining of stomach pains. Ironic as it may be, children who claim they don't eat breakfast due to a lack of time in the morning are tardy more often than those who take time for a morning meal.Breakfast helps to establish a normal eating pattern. Eating regular meals and snacks is a key to maintaining a healthy weight throughout life. Increasing childhood obesity is in part attributed to the disappearance of normal eating patterns in many of today's households.
Encourage your child to eat breakfast by making time in her morning schedule and choosing foods that require little preparation time. Here are some tips for parents on incorporating breakfast into their children's before-school routines:
• Prepare for school the night before by preparing the next day's clothes, lunch and backpack.
• Set the alarm for 15 minutes earlier to allow more time for breakfast.
• Choose foods that require little preparation such as fresh and canned fruits, milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, hard-boiled eggs, whole grain cereals or instant oatmeal.
• Eat on the run with celery stuffed with peanut butter or cream cheese, dried fruits, string cheese, juice boxes, milk cartons, or breakfast bars.
• For those with little hunger in the morning, offer juice, milk or a fruit smoothie made with skim milk and fruit.
• who dislike breakfast foods, offer something non-traditional like cold pizza or leftover chicken.
Comments (S): 0
No related myths and facts found !!