· Bats use a technique called echo-location which means when they screech, they listen to how it bounces back to see where things are!
· Some bats are able to eat 1000 mosquitoes an hour!
· There are more than 900 species of bats in the world.
· Some bats eat frog , fish , and mice.
· The lightest bat can be balanced to a dime.
· Their wing are very strong (for their size/type) but there feet tend to be weaker.
· Most bats sleep up to 20 hours! Bats are the only mammal to fly (truly).
· When a bat hibernates its heart rate slows.
· In one bat cave 250 tons of insects are consumed every night!
· Bats can be identified just by sound. Bats can digest many fruits in about the time of a minute.
· A bat’s average life span is about 30 year.
· Some bats can fly 10,000 feet high!
· Bats are more closely related to humans than they are to rodents. Several studies indicate that the Old World fruit bats and flying foxes may actually be descended from early primates.sweet!
· Most bats give birth to only a single pup each year, making them very vulnerable to extinction.wow!
· The world’s smallest mammal is the bumblebee bat of Thailand which weighs about as much as a dime.
· Giant flying foxes that live in Indonesia have wingspans of nearly six feet.