Most of the people have suffered from acidity at some point in their lives. Acidity is one of the most common problems faced by us, but is also one of the simplest to cure.
Cuases of Acidity :
Our stomach produces acid to digest the food that we eat. This is a regular and natural process in our body. Acidity occurs when there is excess secretion of acids in the gastric glands of the stomach. Whenever we eat, cells within the lining of the stomach pump acid to liquefy your sumptuous dinner, from mash potatoes to a slab of steak. Problem occurs when these cells produce large amount of acid, more than your stomach needs. When this happens, you will suffer from stomach acidity.
Acidity may be caused by many conditions such as : -
1) Medical conditions, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease, stomach ulcers.
2) Eating large meals or lying down right after a meal.
3) Hyperthyroidism - excessive secretion of the thyroid gland.
4) Anxiety, anger and stress.
5) Eating certain foods, such as citrus, tomato, chocolate, mint, garlic, onions, or spicy or fatty foods.
6) Artificial stimulants or the thought of nearing the food time can create acidity.
7) Taking aspirin, ibuprofen, certain muscle relaxers, or blood pressure medications.
8) Excessive intake of stimulants like tea, coffee etc.
9) Eating a heavy meal and lying on your back or bending over at the waist.
10) Long gaps between meals leads to acidity, as it gives the acid in the stomach more time to act.
11) Drinking certain beverages, such as alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, or tea
12) Being overweight or obese
13) Being pregnant
14) Soda and other carbonated beverages are some of the main causes of acid reflux. The bubbles of carbonation expand inside the stomach, and the increased pressure contributes to reflux.
15) Fried food is the single most recognized cause of reflux. It is also the food most often associated with heartburn, which is chest pain from esophageal reflux.
When you feel acidity try to avoid things like : Spicy foods, Tomatoes and tomato sauce, Garlic, Citrus fruit & juices, Peppermint, Chocolate, Fried foods, Fatty/greasy foods, Salt, Coffee (including decaf), Alcohol & Soda.
Common symptoms of acidity :
1) A burning pain or discomfort that may move from your stomach to your abdomen or chest, or even up into your throat.
2) Discomfort, burning sensation in the upper part of the gut area, especially after eating.
3) A sour or bitter-tasting acid backing up into your throat or mouth.
4) Feeling of Sickness and Constipation.
5) A narrowing of your esophagus, which creates the sensation of food being stuck in your throat.
7) Turning down food.
8) Loss of appetite
9) Sometimes acid from the stomach makes its way up to the throat and can cause choking. If you wake up choking, this may be a sign of acid reflux.
10) Usually mistaken for seasonal allergies or cold symptom, a sore throat develops from the continuous irritation of acid on throat. An easy way to know to know it’s not a cold, is if you don’t develop other flu or cold- like symptoms.
Here are some home remedies to cure acidity :
1) Skip the aerated drinks as well as the caffeine. Opt for herbal tea instead.
2) Drink water the moment you get up in the morning. This would flush out, the excess acid in the stomach and other unwanted material that would have accumulated during the night. Also, coconut water taken at least thrice daily helps in fighting acidity.
3) Include banana, watermelon and cucumber in your daily diet. Watermelon juice is great for curing acidity.
4) Eat a cup of vanilla ice cream or drink a glass of cold milk to get rid of acidity. This is an easy Home Remedy for Acidity.
5) A very simple remedy for acidity is thin butter-milk mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder.
6) If you are suffering from gastritis, then clove acts as the wonder drug to get you rid of this sensation. Just chew say about two cloves and slightly bite them so that juices keep oozing out. Soon, the problem will vanish.
7) Lemon: Juice of one lemon mixed in half glass of water and ½ teaspoon sugar if consumed before meals helps to relieve acidity.
8) Have vegetables like drumsticks, beans, pumpkin, cabbage, carrot and spring onions.
9) Have your last meal at least two to three hours before you hit the sack.
10)Milk taken either hot, cold or warm, is the best acidity buster as it completely neutralizes the acidic effect of the food thereby giving relief to the body. But not every one gets relief from acidity by drinking milk, Dr. Kiran says " There are two types of Acidity, one which is soothed by milk while the other is aggravated by milk." Take the doctor's advice before drinking milk as a remedy.
11)When suffering from acidity, drink five to eight glass of coconut water a day. This is another effective Home Remedy for Acidity.
12)Boil some mint leaves in water and have a glass of this after meals.
13)Eat almonds to give relief to symptoms of acidity.
14)Take say about a teaspoon of cumin seeds and then roast them. After roasting, crush them in such a manner that they don’t become powder. Now, add this to a glass of water and have it with every meal you take. It does wonders.
15)Excessive smoking and drinking will increase acidity, so cut down.
16)Jaggery can help a lot in treating heartburn and acidity. Consume a small lump and allow it to get dissolved in your mouth to get relief from acidity. But, this remedy should not be tried by people who have diabetes.
17)One of the common Home Remedies for Acidity - Onion (pyaz): The juice of onions is an excellent remedy for acidity.
18)Raita prepared with curd and added with ingredients like grated cucumber and coriander will surely aid in digestion and help eliminate acidity.
19)If ginger is used in meals, it provides better digestion and prevents occurrence of heartburns.
20)It is a good habit of chewing some sauf after meals, this is a good practise since sauf helps in digestion and thus is good for those who suffer from acidity.
Disclaimer*: This article is only for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.